Wednesday, September 7, 2011

New Rose Prize 2011 - The Shortlist!


At the end of July I launched the first ever New Rose Prize for short stories from unpublished writers. Nearly 80 entries were submitted, the judges pored over each one and now I am very proud to announce our shortlist!

First of all, I need to say an enormous thank you to everyone who entered. The standard of entries was very high and ranged from intense emotional pieces to shock fiction, comedy and even a fairytale! It has been a privilege to read your work and I know that the judges have enjoyed every minute of it.

So, without further ado, here is the shortlist for the New Rose Prize 2011...

The Apple by Jo Burnett
In Loco Parentis
by Laura Sandell
Because I was too much
by Naomi Frisby
Books, Scars and Me
by Matthew Laurence
When I Died
by Stacey Matheson
Margaret
by Heather Gauthier

Massive congratulations to all our shortlisted authors and commiserations to our other entrants. Over the next week, I am going to mention a couple of entries that I liked which didn't make the list and we have also decided to award a Judges Special Mention Award for one entry which all of the judges felt should be recognised. So keep watching for that!

So now Jamie, Ruth and myself will be re-reading the shortlisted stories and deciding who will be our two runners-up and overall winner. We'll announce the result in the next couple of weeks, so keep watching and make sure you're following me on Twitter @wurdsmyth to be the first to hear the news.

Best of British to all of you! xx

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Listen to my album tracks!